Acne is the one of the most prevalent human skin diseases, which is characterized by scaly red skin, blackheads, pimples and eventually scarring. Face, upper chest and back are most prone to acne. Acne is not harmful to health, but if inflicted can result in blood clotting and eventually scarring. Acne is mostly prevalent among all sexes, especially among teenagers during puberty and subsides by the age of 25. So, what are the best acne treatment for teens to get rid of this nightmare?
Techniques to ensure the best acne treatment for teens
- Wash your face twice daily – Washing the face twice, especially at night and in the morning helps to remove oil and prevents dirt build up which occurs during the day. Oil and dirt are one of the reasons for acne breakouts. The face should be cleaned with cold water and the remaining water should be removed by dabbing with a piece of cotton or soft cloth.
- Moisturize – Using acne products and frequent washing of the face can leave the skin dry. To restore the moisture content of the skin, a moisturizer should be used. Gel-based moisturizers should be opted by teenagers if they have excessively oily skin, or a cream and lotion based moisturizers if the case of a drier skin. In case of significant outdoor exposure to sunlight, a moisturizer with a light SPF should be used in order to protect the skin from further irritation caused by sun’s UV rays.
- Use a topical acne product – Acne is caused by bacteria or germs present in the skin. The acne relieving products usually contain either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, which helps to get rid of these agents. The potency and concentration of these products vary. So teens should either increase or decreasing the amount to be applied, depending on the dryness or redness of their skin.
- Exfoliation – This process removes dead skin cells from the surface of the body. They are generally creams that are applied on the face and then left to dry for about 10 minutes before removing. It is preferable to exfoliate the skin, around two times a week.
- Avoid touching the pimples – Most teenagers unconsciously pick their pimples with their hands, which leads to spreading of harmful bacteria, while popping the pimples can lead to inflammation and scarring.
- Drinking plenty of water and maintaining a healthy diet – Drinking around 8-10 glasses of water a day helps to flush out toxins from the body which in turn ensures a radiant skin. Foods such as spinach and carrots are rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, which further aids to eliminate skin problems.
To sum it up in a few words, maintaining proper health practices and resorting to natural methods of acne removal are the best acne treatment for teens. Exercising and relaxing are also immensely beneficial as they relieve stress and ensures proper blood flow within the body. If the above steps are religiously followed, teens can easily get rid of acne in no time.